Tennis Elbow and the Healing Power of Sports Massage
Tennis elbow a common but painful condition, which often affects athletes and active people. Whilst it may not only affect tennis players, the name of this condition has stuck for anyone suffering these symptoms.
Tennis elbow, also known as lateral epicondylitis, can be both frustrating and debilitating. Even regular daily activities can be painful. Fortunately, there is a way to help, Sports Massage is fast emerging as a valuable tool in managing and preventing tennis elbow. In this blog, we will explain what is tennis elbow, and also understand the causes, and how Sports Massage can play a vital role in the treatment and prevention of this condition.
Understanding Tennis Elbow:
Tennis elbow is characterized by pain and tenderness on the outer part of the elbow. It is usually caused by overuse or repetitive strain of the muscles and tendons in the forearm, especially those connecting to the lateral epicondyle, which is the bony lump on the outer part of your elbow. As we mentioned earlier, tennis elbow affects people involved activities such as golf, weightlifting, gardening, repetitive physical work or even typing on a computer for extended periods of time.
Common Causes of Tennis Elbow:
- Repetitive Movements: such as gripping, twisting, or lifting heavy objects, can strain tendons in the forearm and lead to tennis elbow.
- Poor Technique: Using improper equipment or incorrect technique during sports or exercise can increase the risk of injury.
- Muscle Imbalance: The forearm has both flexor and extensor muscles, any imbalance in these muscles can contribute to overuse injury.
- Age: Tennis elbow is more common in 30-50 years old, but as you can see from the causes listed above, it could affect anyone at any age.
Sports Massage as a Treatment for Tennis Elbow:
Sports Massage is an effective complementary treatment for tennis elbow. Here’s how it can help:
- Pain Reduction: Sports Massage can alleviate pain by reducing muscle tension and promoting relaxation. It helps to increase blood flow to the affected area, facilitating the body’s natural healing process.
- Muscle Release: Our therapists target the specific muscles and tendons affected by tennis elbow, releasing tension, and improving flexibility. This helps to reduce strain on the injured area.
- Improved Circulation: Enhanced blood circulation can promote the delivery of essential nutrients and oxygen to injured tissues. This will help accelerate the healing process.
- Scar Tissue Management: Left untreated, tennis elbow can lead to the formation of scar tissue. Sports Massage can help to break down these adhesions, which can improve the range of motion and reduce pain.
- Rehabilitation: Sports Massage can be a valuable component in your rehabilitation plan, aiding recovery and strengthening the affected muscles.
Sports Massage to prevent Tennis Elbow:
Sports Massage isn’t just for treating existing injuries; it can also play a crucial role in preventing injuries occurring:
- Muscle Maintenance: Regular Sports Massage can help maintain a healthy muscle tone, and reduce the risk of overuse injuries.
- Flexibility: Sports Massage can improve flexibility and joint range of motion, reducing the strain on tendons during repetitive activities.
- Stress Reduction: High levels of stress can increase muscle tension, making you more susceptible to injuries. Sports Massage promotes relaxation, reducing stress-related tension.
- Body Awareness: Through Sports Massage, people can become more in tune with their bodies, recognizing early signs of tension or discomfort, and be able to take preventive measures.
Tennis elbow can be a frustrating and painful condition, but Sports Massage offers hope for relief and prevention of these symptoms. Whether you’re an athlete looking to stay injury-free or someone already dealing with tennis elbow caused by poor posture whilst sitting at the desk. Incorporating Sports Massage into your regime can be a valuable step toward your recovery and long-term wellness. Why not consult with a qualified massage therapist to create a personalised plan that addresses your specific needs. This would help you get back to doing what you love to do and be pain-free.
At Wellbeing Chiropractic Health Centre, we offer Sports Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Chiropractic and Deep Tissue Laser Therapy which could also help manage tennis elbow symptoms, please contact us for more information or to book an appointment.
For recent updates, exercises, motivation, and helpful tips please follow us on:
Facebook: Wellbeing Chiropractic Health Centre
Instagram: @ Wellbeing_chiropractic